Sign up to create your custom IntoAlbania trip
Your account has been activated!
The Center for Openness and Dialogue was created with a simple objective: transforming a part of the Council of Ministers headquarters into a space dedicated to the citizens by giving the message of openness, transparency and transformation.
COD was first opened to the public on July 8, 2015; a unique cultural center, seen by the visitors as both a physical and conceptual transformation, as it has functionally segregated a part of the building’s history by putting it fully in the service of the citizens. Its spaces include: The Protocol Hall, the Library, Hall of the Artist, the Minilab, the Forum, the Digital Space, the Meeting Room and the hallway.
Each of these spaces functions on the basis of an integrated calendar that, in coordination with local and foreign collaborators, conducts international conferences, seminars, exhibitions, book presentations, speeches and protocol ceremonies, film projections, forum discussions, etc.
The COD Library at the Prime Minister’s Office, was built on donations, and it has a stock of about 5500 book titles. Its basic supply consists of Decisions of the Council of Ministers, since 1945, and publications of the Official Journal, the oldest dating back to 1922, which are in function of the institution. As an open library, it provides the public with a modern environment, in which, different topics can be found, such as: international relations, the EU, political science, history, architecture, art, urbanization, etc.
Also, there are rare collections of books, manuscripts, various periodicals, dictionaries, encyclopedias. The library is part of the online system COBISS, which provides access to 90,000 titles and is a reference model for the national library information system platform.
The COD Digital Space offers citizens, scholars or other interested people access to the Digital Archive of the Council of Ministers. All users through tablets and PCs can access the Digital Archive of the Prime Minister’s office, divided into two folders: the Council of Ministers Documents Fund and the Council of Ministers Photo Fund from 1912.
COD has introduced Albanian and foreign artists in the space conceived for exhibitions.
Three photographic works by artist Thomas Demand were shown for the first time on the day of the opening of the Center.
At COD, works by different established artists have been displayed. Including works by Laurent Mareschal, Nathan Coley, Mia Enell, Ornela Vorpsi, Peter Kogler, Edi Hila, Alban Muja, Olson Lamaj, Flaka Haliti, Vigan Nimani, Pjerin Kolnika etc. and Chagall: Magic Gravity, one of the most important exhibitions with more than 180 engravings and original Marc Chagall graphics.
The historical recollection and transformation of Albania are presented through Michel Setboun’s photographic exhibition “The End. The beginning. Albania 1981 – 1991 “; “Carta Nautica Uno”, a rare historical artifact, realized in 1455, by the cartographer Bartolomeo Pareto; “Myrtis: face to face with the past”, a special exhibition that was shown for the first time in Albania in collaboration with great museums of Greece; “Alexander Moisiu – The Man and the Artist”, exhibition with 44 photos; “Photographic Archive Pietro and Larissa Quaroni-Albania 1928-1931” with the astonishing photos of Albania during those years, etc.
The Center for Openness and Dialogue-COD is located on the first floor of the Prime Minister’s Office, with the main entrance from the “Dëshmorët e Kombit” boulevard. COD is open to the public every day of the week from Monday to Friday from 09:30-14:00/17:30-20:30 and every Saturday from 17:30 to 20:30. For the latest news check COD calendar and visit our web site: www.cod.al or follow us on social networks: facebook, twitter, instagram.